Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A House I Once Knew

This is a poem I had found online today and wanted to share it with you.
It was written by Leo VanMeer 1907-2006
       There are mars on the doors and walls
        Its rooms are empty and wide.
       Here and there is a broken pane
        Where no night wind creeps inside.
       The front porch has fallen to ruin
         With vines in possession there.
       A shed is tumbled and strewn
         And rubbish is everywhere.
       Somehow it softens in the moonlight
         And my fancy wanders free.
       That old house is more than a house
         It once was home to me.
       I can see a place by the window
         Were the firelight once played inside.
       I can picture the porch as it use to be
         And grounds so clean and wide.
       Doors with well-oiled hinges
          Let in our willing feet.
       With everything in place as it should
          And everything trim and neat.
        I see in mellowed reflection
          until years have changed it to be
        A house with a memory : its more than a house
          It once was home to me.
        I'd give so much to live again
          In that house when it was young.
        Then it knew our laughter and tears,
           With its memory only begun.
        I was unwise to have left it, I know
            All I got for my pains
       Was a heap of things I thought worthwhile
            And desire to be back again.
        It might be made home again, who knows?
        I watch the moonlight slant through a tree,
        And know that old house was more then  a house
              It once was home to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments to let me know how I am doing, and ways to improve. Thanks.