Thursday, June 10, 2010

The baby

During a visit last summer to Utah, my mom took me around to see where my grandparents lived in Kenilworth. Still with very little to the town there seemed to be tons of memories, and alot of history to learn.
 Papa and Takoobuddy, (Joe and Rose Koran), were married in Kenilworth, and had a very small living area. Papa Joe worked in the mine there and lived in the housing provided by the company. I got to see the "SCRIPT store" they were to do the shopping at. Script was something this coal company provided instead of direct pay we know today. Out side this store was a bulletin board, with message's and daily work schedule to see if you were on shift that day or not...... The story I am about to repeat here came from my grandmother, Rose.... "Your uncle Tom was born in the hospital in Kenilworth, did you know that?" I said yes, mom told me of that and showed me the building the hospital was, which is now a house. She got a sad look on her face and said, "When I was a little girl, not very old at all, my mom was going to have another baby... She was too weak to go to the hospital and sent dad to get the doctor. At the time, the doctor was at his house so my dad went there to find him. And when he told the doctor a baby was about to be born, and needed to come quick, the doctor asked my dad if he was working that day. When dad said 'no,not today.'
 That stupid doctor told him, You go home and help your wife, I will not help you if you are not working.
"Well, the baby died, it was so tiny it could fit in my hands. We couldn't even give it a proper grave, so my dad took the baby and buried it in with my uncle Pete. I still hate that doctor for that!....(pause) I don't know what happened to him , he left to somewhere, I dont' know where he went----TO HELL PROBABLY!!!"
  My eyes got huge, I could not ever imagine those words from my grandma, as angry as I had seen her before, she never said anything like that about anyone in front of me before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments to let me know how I am doing, and ways to improve. Thanks.